Monday, August 12, 2013

Internet decided it would work for me today. So here is a photo dump.


This is my front yard, only gated one of the lot. It's nice we've got some plants I've never seen before, birds love our yard and their chirping is the most unique thing I've heard in awhile. I feel like in some weird alternate world when I walk outside.


That is the gate on the other side of our compound. There is a guard there 24/7. Safety is always a concerned in Ciudad Ojeda but we're taken care of in a lot of ways. I rarely feel unsafe. Things do happen though.


Front of our house, I'll put up pictures of the inside later. It is a giant house for two people. I have a closet that would make some people cry, it's absolutely huge and I do not use it like it should be used.


That's the rest of the compound, most of the houses are teachers. There are around three that aren't. I usually run around this in the morning with Godiva. I don't usually go that far, once I get into a routine I'll be able to put in the mileage.


This is Godiva, the sweetest dog I've met in awhile. I know the picture makes it look like her eye is all sorts of messed up, that isn't the case, I am just giving her the deepest scratch behind the ears. She gets a long well with the turtles.


Smalls.


Smalls again.




Biggie. ... actually this might be smalls again, Biggie is hard to find, and is afraid of everything.


Beer is okay, it comes in smaller containers, and is as close to water as I can get without being in a canoe but you can't complain. They have a weird system here where you bring back the empty beer bottles to buy more beer. I don't understand what they do with the bottles... and a part of me just feels like they fill them without cleaning them but its the only recycling that I've found. Til sunday!

4 comments:

  1. Any places worth visiting in this town?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't really recommend it as a place to visit, there are many other cities in Venezuela with more things to do and more sites to see. Ojeda is not the safest city, nor is it the prettiest. Things are constantly breaking down and the roads are a mess. Merida is the only other city I've been to in Venezuela for an extended period of time and I'd recommend it whole heartedly if you want a beautiful, lively city, with cheap prices, and many things to do. If you have any more questions about Venezuela or Ciudad Ojeda I'd love to answer them.

      Delete
  2. I am currently leaving in Ojeda, and haven't been around at all. i have heard good things about Merida too. How do I get there? Are there any travel agencies that i can use to join group tours?Do you know any people planning to visit various parts of Venezuela?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merida is south of Ojeda it is about a 6 hour drive. You take intercomunal until you reach the Pan American highway, you take this until El Vigia and then go north until you hit Merida. I used Google Maps for most of it and only had one or two minor problems. I don't know of any travel agencies that do group tours I just went down with a fellow teacher. The only travel agency I know of in Ojeda is Giorgio Travel. I have heard great things about Valencia as well but I have never been there. I don't know anyone else planning to visit various parks of Venezuela. Hope this helps, sorry I don't have more information.

      Delete