Sunday, August 11, 2013

I never said I was an animal person, but sometimes a dog needs a home.


As cliche as it is to say, I am a stranger in a strange and different land. I woke up my first night in a panic because I heard some weird sounds and didn't realize until the morning that there are many birds outside my window and their song is different than those back home. 

Sorry this week was supposed to be pictures but again my phone refuses to work. I can't even use wifi, so hopefully I will use the schools internet and be able to send what I have. This is the best I can do.

This big guy is Biggie, and there is a much smaller one named Smalls. We also are taking care of the sweetest dog named Godiva. We are the animal house apparently. The fact of the matter is our house is the only one in our small compound (which I swear I will have pictures of once my phone starts working) that has a fence. These turtles are the land lords, and they are pretty relaxed and the dog was abandoned last year by previous teachers. I don't view myself as responsible enough for a dog, but I couldn't say no to this. Who abandons a dog? So she waits outside the front door every morning and I wake up early to jog her around the compound. It's a good relationship so far.

It rains in flash flood style for 15 minutes at a time here, it does not cool this place down, it just causes more humidity. Everyone says though, rain causes spiders to show up. I have not seen a single spider yet but damn it I am making my rounds everyday. It is my mission to not live in fear, and to rid myself of any and all spiders and scorpions I come across by whatever means necessary. The first one will be an example to the rest.

I haven't really had a lot of time to worry about it though since tomorrow is the start of school and I am definitely anxious, first days always get me. I don't feel nearly as prepared but we'll roll the dice and see how this goes. I have one class of 4 students which is incredible and my largest class is 12. This year is going to be completely different. Sorry to cut this short but I procrastinated on this post because of prepping for classes. Hopefully I can post up pictures tomorrow and tell you a little more about life in Ojeda.

No comments:

Post a Comment